Wednesday, January 25, 2012

When life gives you a dinner cruise....

So tonight Brad and I went to our first big splurge of the trip- the Dinner Cruise in Bangkok! After raining much of the afternoon it cleared up into a nice evening. A sweet little Thai man wearing a version of a skinny jean suit came to pick us up from our hotel and we quickly stopped at another hotel for more guests. A middle eastern couple stepped into the van and asked where we were from- when we said America he laughed (in a manic way ) and relied he was from Iran. Alright then. We picked up another couple from Russia and then proceeded to wait 25 minutes for the third couple at their hotel.

As the click ticked I grew more anxious- would the boat leave? Would get a table? When they finally got in the car I wanted to freak but instead i stayed calm. We struggled through traffic and finally arrived at the marina- chaos. The boat didn't leave for another 20 minutes so we were told to just wait- I started to second guess this expensive choice we had already paid for. One of my favorite movie quotes from role models "when life gives you lemons, say fuck it and bail." however we decided to stick it out and try.

When we finally got on the ship we had a great little private table on the top deck. Mojito- check. Then dinner (buffet) was ready. The crowd swarmed towards the table like hungry wildabeasts in Africa. People were pushing and cutting in line and it was worse than the elementary cafeteria. I retreated back to the table and told brad I was worried about the future of mankind. Fuck the lemons and bail? Then the cruise started and the night completely turned around. The food was amazing, plentiful, and filling. The breeze blew as we sailed down the river with people from all countries dotting the deck. Bangkok by night glittered and the Wats (temples) were incredible.

Within an hour the same people fighting to get food had formed a dance circle and were laughing and singing along with the live band on deck. I claimed if they played Gaga I would dance and as we went down below to the first level I heard the Thai singer belting out "Bad Romance". True to my word I hopped out on the dance floor (which was empty) and within a few minutes we were joined by several people. I looked around and realized we had crashed a reserved party for Japanese tourists and were the only Caucasian people on that floor yet we were embraced and the men were copying brads moves. Hilariously fun.

The cruise came to an end and as we rode home I chatted with the same couple I had wanted to yell at several hours earlier. They were from Indonesia and super nice. As we got out of the car I shook the mans hand from Iran as he called out "Iran and America!" I could not have enjoyed that dinner cruise more. When life gives you lemons, just try to roll along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment