Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hot nights, hot ladyboys!

We arrived at the Delhi airport three hours ahead of our flight which, at the time, I considered unnecessary. Turns out it involved standing in multiple ridiculous lines and hours later we finally made it onto the plane to Bangkok! We ended up sitting next to a a hilarious British guy on holiday who taught us all sorts of inappropriate English slang terms which i will not repeat. He openly told us his travel companion was headed to Thailand for the prostitutes, and I politely replied we were skipping out on the pinging shows. It makes me sad that a country with so much culture to offer is associated with cheap "lovin", but i guess there is something for everyone. After 3 1/2 hours we arrived safely in Bangkok!

I could not have been more thrilled. Everyone was driving in their lanes, the streets were clean, and the taxi had a meter. Hooray! We arrived at our guesthouse and popped out for some authentic Thai food. We found a great open air place with amazing pad Thai and one of my other favorite treats- ladyboys! I adore the ladyboys, those gender bending creatures who mixed among the Thai hipsters at the Coco Walk. Some are easy to spot, as they still have adam's apples and other telltale signs. Some,however, are so gorgeous they put models to shame. My heart bursts with warmth to see a culture that accepts people for who they are and allows them to be happy rather than repressed. Of course, I have been in mostly cities and maybe acceptance is different in the village but I have run into ladyboys all over Thailand. We all really want the same thing- to feel comfortable in our own skin and be happy. I admire anyone with the courage to stand up and be who you are, because as my beloved Gaga put it "you were born this way!" (the inside, not the outside). But if you are like those crazy Brits and your plan is to come for a little paid love, you never know what you might get in the end.

Today we went to the weekend market, shopped, drank like 5 different types of amazing fruit juices, and enjoyed the 88 degree heat. I also got to do one of my most favorite things in the world- $7 hourlong Thai massages. Brad and I went to a little place and we got pampered (no happy endings you pervs) and then strolled the streets of Bangkok. We are nowhere near ko San road and the backpackers ghetto, which we love. I'm getting to see a whole new side of Bangkok and loving every minute. Another massage in my near future? Hell yes. I love you Thailand, it's great to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment