Saturday, June 2, 2012

Treat yo'self.

We just stayed in a guesthouse with a view of the beach. An unswimmable beach because of an eclectic mishmash of rubbish items but breathtaking from afar none the less. We had our pick of the individually themed rooms and after careful deliberation we went with "morning dew" because the name was so masculine. Ash chose bathroom soap from a frickin' menu. The next day we spent the entire daylight reading, surfing the net, napping, and listening to Asian covers of American classics on the CD player. For dinner we ate inside an actual ship that had food that reminded me of Red Lobster, yes!

The next morning we went to the clean beach a few km up the road and played in the super mean waves, I still have sand in my ears, and watched the water sports go on from a shady spot. At one point the unlicensed Malay boat drivers displayed their novice when the rope pulling two parasailers got twisted around a banana boat with 6 young adults on it and flipped it over sending the parasailers slamming into the ocean. At least no one drown and no one was decapitated.

We headed to our next hotel after the show and checked in. If you have not seen the show Parks and Rec then I should explain that two characters on the show have a time each year that they call 'treat yourself' where they throw caution to the wind and spend money on extravagant things. We have begun such a holiday at this point on our trip it seems. Pineapple welcome drinks; treat yo'self. Our ceiling fan has a remote: treat yo'self. There is a TV and a DVD player; treat yo'self. Espresso machine; treat yo'self. Stained glass windows and organic free trade products in the bathroom; treat yo'self! And just outside our window is one of the greatest cities in the world for cuisine. One of CNN's
top ten if you believe what they say. Street food is the greatest!

Sometimes it's hard for me to spend a bunch of dough on myself. I think about what if something happens and I need that money? Most times I think I would rather go without something I don't really need so Ash can use the money for her stuff. Ash said 'not this time Brad' and forced me to do something nice for myself for my 32nd birthday. Feeling old? Treat yo'self. Another grey hair? Treat yo'self!

Today I might jump around and run from place to place just because I can.

1 comment:

  1. You only turn 32 once! It's good that you wrote up your adventures, because at your advanced age the senility will make remembering difficult. Happy Birthday, granddad.

    ReplyDelete