Monday, June 4, 2012

Brad turns 32!

Today marks the historic anniversary of a monumental event that happened 32 years ago (back when the dinosaurs still roamed the Earth). One unicorn was born onto Earth and this forever changed the face of the future. Today we celebrate this glorious occasion we call B-day, or the birth of Brad. Today's celebration began at a luxury B&B (room photo below) with a scrumptious breakfast of Eggs Florentine and has continued with a fantastic 4 hour bus ride to Pulau Pangkor. Some of our fellow bus riders under the age of three were being quite vocal (celebrating B-day really gets the kids riled up) and after the seemingly never ending celebration we were finally able to get to the ferry port and head onward. What a party! They even overpacked the boat due to the massive turnout of guests. This was quite a way to ring in a new year for Brad. Here's to getting another year wiser!

I will also use this blog to announce our return back to the old US of A. We will be in Malaysia for another week after which we head to Bali, Indonesia for two weeks of swimming and sunshine. We quickly head to Bangkok for a few days and then fly to Chicago for the grand return just in time to celebrate the 4th of July. We plan to stay in Iowa for a few weeks and then head back to Denver somewhere around the 18th or 19th of July. America.... F-yeah!

I would like to thank four amazing individuals who helped to make this trip a reality. Without their love and support we never could have done it. Jeff and Lisa Garbin... Doug and Nancy Paterson... We salute you. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Between the generous monetary donations, helping us move, holding on to our belongings, watching Sir Lucius, solving randomly occurring problems, and everything else you made it possible for us to follow a dream and see the world. Your support and love has helped us to carry on no matter the obstacles we faced. Love you all very, very much. We hope we have done you proud.

As the end is in sight I cannot help but reflect on all the changes that have taken place. It's amazing to think that so many days have passed so quickly and although I'm very excited to return to my family, friends, and comforts I also have a slight sense of mild anxiety about rejoining the "real" world again. We have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle over the past five months and I know I'm in for some reverse culture shock. I present to you a list of upcoming changes so you can also ponder my reality.

What will it be like...
1. To have a cell phone and just be able make a phone call? Anytime, anywhere? Midnight phone calls commence!
2. To sleep in the same place each night and not carry my things on my back? This should greatly decrease my intense fears of bed bugs, not to mention help my lower lumbar.
3. To have to pay American prices on things you can buy for a fraction of the price in other places? Pad Thai should cost $1 everywhere. Period.
4. To have clothing options. I currently start my day saying, "which of my four shirts do I hate the least today?" Don't you judge me when you see my pictures and I'm always wearing the same thing I did do laundry occasionally.
5. To know what time it is. I have almost lost the whole concept of time other than wondering when this bus and ferry ride will be over.
6. To have access to a computer. iPod touch you have been great but your screen is just too damn tiny for adequate Internet surfing.
7. To get into a car and just go somewhere. Oh glorious freedom. No arguing with cabs, no getting lost on public transportation, no trying to read confusing diagrams for the subway. Just me and the open road!
8. To hear people bitching about things that seem completely ludicrous given the things we have seen. Americans are a pretty lucky bunch overall let me tell you.
9. To be able to hang out with friends- oh how we have missed you! You better have lots of good stories upon our return.
10. To get a job. Someone please remind me- what's a resume, again?
11. To be able to understand people and have them understand me. I can finally ask questions about food on the menu without my order getting totally mucked up. Yes, we have somehow ordered two of the same thing.
12. To be able to eavesdrop again. One of my favorite hobbies that also fills me with anger now and then. If you are talking loudly at a coffee shop you are practically begging me to listen.
13. To not walk into a bathroom only to find the dreaded "squattie potty"? I hate it when there is no toilet and only a hole in the ground. I'm sorry, girls cannot "aim". Ladies you know what I'm talking about. Penises have the advantage for squatties, as there is rarely any toilet paper either.
14. To have to do adult things like find a place to live, set up Exel, find Internet, pay bills, etc. Ugh the horror! At least we will be crashing with the Patersons for awhile since we are low on funds. We are now accepting donations in the way of money and food. Unfortunately I doubt those donations qualify for a tax write off but don't let that deter you. Oh yeah, paying taxes...ugh.

Overall we are looking forward to all the great things America has to offer and we can't wait to party it up when we get home. In the meantime please join me in celebrating Brad today whether that be through a memory, cake, or just pouring out a little of your drink for your homie. If you don't want to waste any alcohol you could also have an extra beer. He is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and I cherish each day we spend together on this trip! Our accommodation for tonight is also featured in today's photos- the A frame cottage is another one of Brad's picks. Happy birthday Brad and here's to many more!

1 comment: