Saturday, June 9, 2012

Malaysia truly Asia

I had no idea what to expect when we first arrived in Malaysia. I don't know anyone who has ever been here and we actually ended up coming due to cheap flights and Kuala Lumpur being a major transportation hub for Air Asia. I knew that Mugatu from the movie Zoolander had a big problem with the Prime Minister but that was about the extent of my knowledge of Malaysia. When on an organically evolving six month journey you sometimes just end up wherever the wind blows you. In this case the wind had excellent taste. I am officially a big fan of Malaysia.

Two weeks is not enough time in this beautiful country. We only got to Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Pangkor which is only a fraction of what Malaysia has to offer. Rainforests and palm trees splash across the lush and hilly landscape. It is hot and humid here which allows plants and forests to thrive. Penang has Georgetown, a historic oasis with crumbling brick painted buildings that make you feel like you walked back in time. Pangkor is a charming unpretentious island with a laid back beach vibe and blue green waves that crash onto secluded beaches. Kuala Lumpur is a unique blend of cultures with old and new growth intermixed among mosques and temples. We stayed at the most mediocre hostel in Kuala Lumpur, the highest ranked B&B of Malaysia in Georgetown (Campbell House), and the loveliest guest house in Pangkor where we felt like part of the host's family (Nipah Guest House). I wanted to take their little daughter, Aila, with us as she was ridiculously sweet.

I wish I had more time to visit Melaka, the Cameroon Highlands, Palau Tioman, and Langkawi to name a few. It is pretty easy to get from place to place and I must give Malaysia props as the very reasonable busses here are pretty swanky. One bus even had reclining seats with your own leg rests! The ability of the people here to speak English is also music to my ears. Although Malay is the recognized main language this has been one of the easiest counties to communicate in using English. Take note, China.

We ate more food than two people should consume and I put back on the pounds I lost in China. Street food is king here in Malaysia with culturally rich dishes that are different than anywhere else in Asia. Mee Goreng, Wan Tan Mee, banana pancakes grilled in banana leaves, laksa fish soup- heavenly with a touch of spice. The seafood in Malaysia is spectacular and you can get phenomenal fresh fish, squid, and tiger prawns for less than $10. I'm talking gourmet dishes here. Indian food? Got it. Middle eastern? Check. Chinese? Sure thing. There is something for every taste and palate that can be found and we have been stuffing ourselves. I will miss you food carts.

Over the past two weeks we have seen some amazing sights too. The cave creatures at Batu Caves terrified me. The wild monkeys in Pangkor showed me who's boss- even though they come up to my knee I'm not messing with them. The waves dominated me one day and i lost yet another pair of sunglasses. We have encountered monitor lizards and giant millipedes. The rainforest in Malaysia is extremely important and houses some spectacular creatures and plant species we just don't see in America. One of my favorite Malaysian memories is feeding the hornbill birds each night at sunset. They will even eat bananas straight out of your hand with their crazy big beaks. They are such majestic and beautiful creatures soaring through the air during twilight.

Where else in the world can you fight with a monkey, buy a benjo (egg sandwich with sweet cheese, chili, and vegetables) for $1 on the street, and swim at the beach next to a woman dressed in a full burka? Even though I am dressed differently than most people here and obviously not Muslim we have experienced nothing but kindness and hospitality. Malaysia has once again shown the diversity of Asia with it's own distinct flavor. Would I come back here? In a heartbeat. The theme song of a popular commercial here goes, "Malaysia truly Asia, it's the place with it all!" Well, other than snow, you do appear to have "it all". Thank you for an eye opening two weeks of fun.

Tomorrow we head off to Bali to begin our final leg of this Asian invasion. I feel like we have earned some time laying on some of the world's most beautiful beaches- let the party begin.

2 comments:

  1. I admit I know little about Malaysia. But your post sold me! It sounds fantastic, except for the sunglasses stealing waves. And what's all this about monkey fighting? Is it fight club for simians? I'm intrigued and more than a little scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley - Allie Blank turned me on to your blog. I'm her soon-to-be sister-in-law. What a sweet write-up of Malaysia - my home country. She showed me your initial post re: Batu Caves and I thought "yeah, another chick who can't deal". Well you proved me wrong! Thanks for giving the country, people, culture and OF COURSE the food a chance. I'm so glad it won you over. I'm so jealous you're off to Bali. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete