Thursday, February 23, 2012

Waterfallin in love

Yesterday we had the pleasure of going to Kuang Si waterfall, just outside of Luang Prabang. We jumped into the ubiquitous tuk-tuk, transportation of champions, and headed off to pick up another couple from France and then to the waterfall. Our first stop along the way was at a Hmong village. I was super excited about this, until we arrived. People were living in the traditional village style- reed and straw huts on stilts, a few concrete buildings, and lots of makeshift hammocks. But they had set up table after table with their woven goods to sell to tourists and children were often the vendors. Most had snotty noses, dirty faces, and tattered clothes. Many of them were sewing away on the crafts, even as young as age four. I kept trying to ask them about school, and they kept harassing me about buying their bracelets and purses. Brad tried to make them laugh through jokes and high fives and when it worked it was a small gift. After I took a picture of one hardworking entrepreneur she called out "you owe me 2000 kip for picture! No free!" She was nine years old. I didnt buy anything- how could I discriminate between one family and the next? How could I add to this child labor? Would there be a riot among children for kip? The French girl, Emilie, put it best- it was like going to a zoo to look, take pictures, and leave back to my comforts. Next time I will be prepared with books to give.

With my heart aching we continued onward. At the beginning of the park there was a bear sanctuary that saved bears from the Chinese and vietnamese medicine industry (bear bile is a hot commodity. Yum.) I know why the phrase "bear hug" exists now cause I wanted to squeeze those suckers! After ogling some bears we continued onward to the first part of the waterfall and swimming hole.

The water was a pale turquoise, snaking through the green jungle of Laos. Brad and I both jumped into the crisp mountain water and marveled at the beauty. We continue up the path to find more waterfalls and more swimming holes filled with people reveling in natures glory. Brad "say yes to life" Paterson jumped off a 15ft waterfall into the crystal clear pool below, and then gave the crazy Tarzan rope swing a try. By this point I was chilly and thought I was done swimming. We walked past several more smaller waterfalls and swimming areas, as they just kept coming. I was thrilled and thought that was it, until we came upon the mother of all waterfalls cascading down the limestone cliffs. It was powerful and intimidating, and I wanted to climb to the top! We set up the slippery path and after a hard 15 minute journey we were at the top. There was yet another waterfall feeding the giant waterfall- they just kept coming! A small group of people were climbing out of the pool at the top and I stared at them in amazement. Were they crazy? They could be swept over the big waterfall- there was only a little chain link fence in the water separating them from that cliff! Then one of the girls looked at me and said, "you should try, that was great!"

I have always wanted to swim by a waterfall. Always. Here I was on top of one giant waterfall and underneath of another. A million reasons to say no- but instead I said fuck it and pulled off my tank and jumped in. The water was strong but I knew I would be safe as long as I didnt go directly under the falls. A few rocks jutted out of the water and I climbed up to the smaller pool and let the water rain down on my face. Here i was, swimming underneath my dream. Brad stood nearby, taking pictures and bursting with pride at my spontaneity. Yes to life. After a few minutes I swam back over to shore (carefully) and hopped out. It was one of my proudest moments because I just stopped wondering "what if...". I thought of a new life mantra recently- "in life there are what ifs and what is. You can wonder all day about what ifs but the only true reality is what is." I finally stopped worrying and accomplished a life goal. My new French friends thought I was nuts but Brad could not have been more excited. I will post pictures when I can.

We finished the day with a lovely meal with the couple, and promised to keep in touch. I love that aspect of traveling. Even though we had a long hard day today traveling through the mountains to Vang Vieng, I continued to think about that waterfall. Sometimes, in life, we all just have to jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment